Saturday, February 21, 2009

Closing In


I found this photo while going through the facilities Dabiri used. It perfectly captures what he is studying. The blue image underneath the jellyfish is the "vortex flow" and the image shows how the jellyfish's movement creates this flow. I was just taking a look at the CalTech website once again and noticed that John Dabiri will be doing a free public talk at the University titled, "Jellyfish-Inspired Engineering." The talk is free to the public and it will be recorded and free to view by anyone from their website.

I also wanted to address and quickly answer the questions we were introduced to at the beggining of this project.
Dabiri's research can be found on his websit at CalTech, the literature he uses is all directly connected back to his projects with Biology, jellyfish, vortex flow, and engineering.
He could serendipitously scan for material but it seems to work better for him to find all his material from direct sources (networking, scholalrly articles, research).
There are many interdisciplinary aspects to his work but most are at least somewhat related: Biomechanics, Biology, Bioengineering. I doubt this would complicate his research; if anything it would be an asset.
Dabiri does alot of networking. Not only does he attend various symposiums and conferences but he also has a number of colleagues in related sciences that he keeps in touch with regularly, not to mention the graduate students that work with him and help him with projects and research.
The majority of the articles I have found by Dabiri were open access. i found many of them at our very own Carlson databases and some at Clusty.com.

The answers to these questions points to a man with many resources to pull from in various areas, and a willingness to share information to push forward his research.


5 comments:

  1. Clusty.com -- new to me, but a good time! I just used it to do a search of my scientist and found a book review she did for a journal in Canada- very interesting to see how she treats the research of others in a subject area near her own. Thanks for introducing me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and now I just found it in my class lecture notes too....sometimes I guess I forget what I already know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The answers to these questions points to a man with many resources to pull from in various areas, and a willingness to share information to push forward his research". I think this is a great statement that pinpoints the characteristics of many of our scientists. By having specific sources that he consults regularly and by staying in contact regularly with his colleagues and graduate students, he supports his and their research goals. My scientist is a professor as well and it's interesting that 50% of his research is completed with his graduate assistants. This probably is due to the fact that he advises and oversees his research, but I bet he also learns a lot about his own research goals and gets new ideas from his students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Dr. Median seems to accomplish a lot with her graduate students as well. I've noticed some of their names included with hers within the lists of authors for some of the publications she was responsible for. I think this its great, because it seems like collaboration is such a big deal within scientific research, it's good for the students to be able to get familiar with it early on in their careers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, spelled my own scientist's name wrong or spell check auto-corrected it while I wasn't looking. For all of you who don't know it's: Dr. Medina (not Median). Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete